Sunday, July 29, 2007

Golden Trevally N.T

Just having arrived back in Darwin, Northern Territory Australia, and still being on holiday, I decided to embark on a fishing safari of my own making.

Not really expecting to catch anything, but happy to be out under the clear blue sky and enjoying the fresh sea breeze, I threw out a couple of 60 pound hand lines loaded with fresh squid.


The distinctive sound of plastic dragging across concrete alerted me that I had a hit, I yanked the hand line and Blam My arm was nearly torn from it's socket as the strength of the run took my breath away and very nearly my arm along with it.

If you have never used a mailable hand line in the range of 40 to 60 pound to catch a large fish, then you are missing out on one of fishing's true pleasures, the 20 minute battle that ensued was a highlight of my fishing adventures in the Northern Territory, it may not be the biggest fish that I have ever caught, but it certainly was the best fight and most memorable fight.


In fact the golden trevally is one of the underrated sports fish found around Darwin and the north of Australia.Most people up here are obsessed with Baramundi fishing, and rate the trevally as poor catch, but if you look closely at the tail of a trevally you can get some idea of it's power, I believe there are some giant trevallyare so big they defy capture, a giant trevally of a hundred pounds is a frightening prospect that will humble any tackle short of a full blown Marlin Sport fishing rig.


The smile really says it all, having felt the awesome strength of this fish between my torn and bloody fingers the thought of actually landing it was inconceivable all that I could hope for was to get a look at it before what seemed like the inevitable and heart rendering Bust off.

Amazingly I wore the fish down, and with the last of my strength I did in fact manage to land it.

If you do make your way to the Northern Territory make sure you book a reef fishing trip and have a go at some of the reef species we have around here, there is a lot more to fishing in Darwin than just Baramundi.

No comments: